Decided to go the cheap route and get an AR-15 lower with a .22LR upper, so I could put several thousand rounds downrange for a fraction of the cost of 7.62 ammo(as my AR-10 would use). Here it is, fully assembled.
Got all the parts needed to build the rifle for under $400, had a printed lower, and was all ready to go out to the range, when I bumped the buttstock with my elbow and tore the receiver apart.
I had used epoxy putty to put threads into the buffer mount of my printed lower because the threads as printed were too tight and the part fractured under the stress of inserting the buffer tube. This fracture and the decreased holding force from epoxy putty(compared to printed threads) contributed to the failure.
But I had a clever idea. I’m going to print the lower receiver in two parts. The buffer tube threads in one part, along with the rear mounting lug, and then the rest of the lower as a seperate part. This seperation will allow me to use very high detail on the threads, and orient the lower receiver in such a way that it won’t need support material.
I have been wrestling with hot-end issues on my printer and installing the new filament spools.
That’s right. Two 10 pound rolls. Won’t be long before I’ve got a pair of empty spools. When my dual extruder shows i’ll be all set to rock the two-color prints.