AR-15 Firing Video

Video of me shooting the AR-15 with printed lower and grip/stock.

It didn’t explode, didn’t jam(when I had the clip in all the way), and didn’t break through 400-500 rounds. ┬áNow to clean it.

This entry was posted in Guns, progress update and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to AR-15 Firing Video

1. Have Blue says:

Looks like it’s running great – congratulations!

2. Ace42588 says:

I was wondering if you have considered bulking up the buffer tube tower connection to rest of the lower. Maybe increasing the mating surface between the two enough to arrange two mounting bolts?

• turomar says:

I have incorporated a captive nut in the main body of the lower and an inset M4 socket screw in the buffer tube, but in my rush to get to the range, I did not install the screw in the lower in this video.

3. wayshwing says:

Very cool! I’ve been testing my lower out regularly. So far it works great with .22, which is a no-brainer. I’m not sure I would use it with .223 though… seems novel, but I question the reliability of a polymer lower, especially a printed one, with high performance centerfire ammo. There are plenty of 80% aluminum lowers that work great for that.

• Have Blue says:

Well, novelty was pretty much the only reason why I tried printing and using a lower in the first place – it’s not reliable with .223 at this point, but it’s been fun to experiment with. Having fun and experimenting is pretty much the whole point of the endeavor!

4. Brandon says:

would it be possible to print the lower / buttstock together? Like this lower:

solving the problem of being to thin on the back side…

Thanks,

• turomar says:

It would be possible in a printer that didn’t have a Z travel limit of 100mm as mine does. I designed the combined grip and stock to be sliced into pieces with a 100mm height limit.

I’m currently designing a printer that can print larger objects.